Monday, March 09, 2009

Lofotkatedralen

When you leave Svolvær by car and go further out on the E-10, you will soon arrive in Kabelvåg. Just before you do, you will see Lofotkatedralen on the left side of the road. Lofotkatedralen (or the Curch of Vågan) was opened in 1898, and is said to be the largest Norwegian wooden church north of Trondheim. In fact, it is said to be the largest Norwegian wooden building north of Trondheim. It has a capacity of 1200 people. Kabelvåg has around 1600 inhabitants (2006), so there should be room for everyone. The church was probably sized for the busy fishing period around 1900 than todays need.

The picture above is taken from the road towards Lofoten Folkehøgskole, which offer inexpensive overnight stay during the summer. The weather was a bit misty and I didn't take enough time. To be honest, I think the picture was taken sitting in my car with the window rolled down. Thus, I am not too happy with the quality of the picture.

Photo details: EOS 30D with my EF-S 17-85 mm at f/6.3 with a focal length of 41 mm. With ISO at 100, the shutter time was 1/80 seconds. In this case, I had used "landscape mode", i.e. one of the more automatic "newbie" options of the basic zone.

This picture is part of my Lofoten set at flickr.